Firefighters called out to Sheffield blaze started by woman who fell asleep with chip pan on

Crews were sent out to extinguish a fire at a Sheffield property last night, that is believed to have been caused by a woman who fell asleep with a chip pan on.

Sunday, 20th March 2016, 6:49 am
Updated Sunday, 20th March 2016, 7:10 am
Crews were sent out to extinguish a fire at a Sheffield property last night, that is believed to have been caused by a woman who fell asleep with a chip pan on.

Firefighters from Elm Lane station arrived on the scene of the incident at a property in Gregg House Road, Shiregreen at around 9.50pm last night.

Sign up to our daily newsletter

The i newsletter cut through the noise

The woman inside the property was woken by the sound of her fire alarm, at which point she alerted the fire service.

A South Yorkshire Fire and Rescue spokesman said the woman was outside the property when they arrived, and had managed to open the front door and a number of windows at the property.

The woman was treated for smoke inhalation following the incident.