Fire service issues safety advice as heatwave continues across South Yorkshire

Firefighters tackled a grass fire on Steadfolds Lane, Thurcroft.
Firefighters tackled a grass fire on Steadfolds Lane, Thurcroft.
0
Have your say

Firefighters have issued safety advice after battling a grass fire in South Yorkshire this afternoon.

Crews were called to Steadfolds Lane, Thurcroft, at around 12.30pm on Friday after smoke could be seen across the skyline.

A spokeswoman for South Yorkshire Fire and Rescue reminded people to take extra care during hot weather to avoid starting accidental grass fires.

Fire officers asked for people's help by:

* Not using open fires in the countryside.

* Making sure any barbecue or disposable barbecue is only used in a suitable location and is extinguished properly after use.

* Extinguishing cigarettes completely and not throwing cigarette ends on the ground.

* Not leaving bottles or glass in woodland – sunlight shining through glass can start fires.

A spokeswoman for South Yorkshire Fire and Rescue said: "Fire crews want their resources available to protect the communities of South Yorkshire - incidents involving accidental grass fires can use up a lot of these vital resources."