Fans accused police officers of being ‘murderers’ after Hillsborough disaster

The Hillsborough disaster
The Hillsborough disaster
Have your say

Liverpool fans berated police officers as ‘murderers’ in the aftermath of the Hillsborough disaster, inquests into the deaths of 96 supports heard.

Stunned supporters leaving the ground turned on the officers, one fan who was at the game told jurors.

Roger Hewstone said he went to the FA Cup semi-final between Liverpool and Nottingham Forest in April 1989 with his teenage son.

The match was abandoned shortly after kick-off as 96 Liverpool fans were crushed to death on the Leppings Lane terrace.

Mr Hewstone waited for his son outside the ground while fans emerged from the stadium.

He said: “They were in various states of distress. I have used the term walking wounded - a lot of them were holding limbs or walking awkwardly.

“Some were clearly stunned and some were attempting to berate police officers standing in a line. Some fans were going past shouting that they were murderers. It began to dawn on me then, the scale of what had happened, must be quite substantial.”

Mr Hewstone said he got to the ground at around 2.30pm for the 3pm kick-off and ended up in a crowd milling around the turnstiles.

When two gates were opened, the crowd ‘very rapidly’ vanished inside and he followed.

He claimed to have seen around a dozen fans go past him who ‘bulldozed’ their way onto the crowded terrace.

James McGauley, a local resident who lived close to Hillsborough stadium on the day of the disaster, said he watched Liverpool fans walk past his house.

He said they were ‘good mannered’ and in ‘good spirits’, waving to his young son in his arms.

“There was no hostility,” Mr McGauley added.

The inquest then heard of evidence given by Chief Inspector Robert Creaser, of South Yorkshire Police, which he gave to the Taylor Inquiry - the first ever probe into the disaster.

He was on duty that day and told the original inquiry: “I have never seen so many drunks at a football match before.”

The officer told that inquiry a number of fans were ‘fighting drunk’.