Family of six lucky to get out of burning flat unharmed

Share this article
Have your say

Firefighters called out to a flat fire in Sheffield found a family of six still asleep – unaware their kitchen was full of smoke.

Neighbours raised the alarm on Cliff Street, Highfield, at 11.55pm on Monday and firefighters had to bang on the door to the ground floor flat to wake the occupants.

Three adults and three children all escaped unharmed.

When firefighters entered the flat they found a pan had been left on the hob.

The fire was contained to the cooker area but smoke had started to spread through the rest of the property.

A South Yorkshire fire service spokeswoman said: “The family was very lucky.”