Family of killed Sheffield motorbike rider describe how loss has left a '˜massive hole in our lives'Â

The grieving relatives of a motorcyclist killed when he crashed into a wall have told how the loss has left a 'massive hole in our lives'.

Wednesday, 14th November 2018, 6:23 am
Updated Wednesday, 14th November 2018, 6:29 am
Garry Broadhurst.

An inquest heard how Garry Broadhurst, aged 53, died when his motorbike smashed into a wall at the entrance to Graves Park on Cobnar Lane, Norton, in March earlier this year.

Read More

Read More
LATEST: Meadowhall stabbing - Everything we know so far
Garry Broadhurst.

Sign up to our daily newsletter

The i newsletter cut through the noise

The Norton resident, who had two sons and two-step daughters, was a popular teaching assistant at Talbot Specialist School in Norton Lees and also a grassroots football coach for Pro Socker Pumas JFC.

After an inquest into his death at Sheffield Medico Legal Centre earlier today, a devastated relative expressed the family's grief over the loss.

Brother-in-law Lawrence Banister said: 'He was a much-loved family man and his death has left a massive hole in our lives.

'He was a great man and always gave his time to the community. It is a huge loss to staff and pupils at the school, and at the football club.'

The inquest heard how Mr Broadhurst was riding his black Kowasaki motorbike along Derbyshire Lane towards Hemsworth Road when he lost control of the vehicle while making a left turn and crashed into a wall at the entrance of Graves Park.

Emergency services rushed to the scene but he could not be saved and was pronounced dead shortly after the collision on the evening of Wednesday, March 7.

Forensic collision investigator John Green said the road has a 30mph limit and while he could not determine exactly how fast Mr Broadhurst was travelling it was 'consistent with being above the speed limit' without being excessive.

Fellow crash scene investigator Neil Morrell described him as an 'inexperienced' rider having only passed his test a few months earlier. He had also only had the motorbike for a few days.

The inquest was told no other vehicles were involved in the collision. There was no alcohol or drugs present in Mr Broadhurst's system. 

Coroner Angharad Davies recorded a conclusion that Mr Broadhurst died as a result of a road traffic collision.