F-T: Promotion boost as Rotherham United return to winning ways ... Millers 3 Fleetwood Town 2

Rotherham United v Fleetwood Town
Rotherham United v Fleetwood Town
Have your say

Impressive Rotherham United got their promotion push firmly back on track as they put an end to Fleetwood Town's winning run with a three-goal performance at AESSEAL New York Stadium.

The fourth-placed Millers conceded early on at AESSEAL New York Stadium, but fought back for a deserved League One victory and could have won by a far greater margin.

An own goal by Nathan Pond, a volley by Joe Newell and a close-range effort from Richard Wood saw Paul Warne's men win for only the second time in seven games.

With five matches left to play, Rotherham are six points clear of fifth-placed Plymouth Argyle and seven ahead of the team just outside the play-off spots, Portsmouth.

Rotherham fell behind in only the fifth minute as Ashley Eastham's header from a corner was saved by Marek Rodak and the Fleetwood centre-half followed up to stab the ball home.

But the Millers were level just seven minutes later. Joe Newell crossed low from the left and, with Anthony Forde lurking, Nathan Pond turned the ball into his own net.

Rotherham controlled the rest of the half, with Matt Palmer, David Ball, playing against his old club, and Richie Towell all having shots, but the visitors defended stoutly.

The visitors were lucky not to concede a penalty in the 25th minute when Cian Bolger threw Ball to the ground off the ball, an offence witnessed by many in the ground but not the officials.

The Millers went ahead five minutes after the break as Fleetwood clerared a corner, Palmer headed back towards goal and Joe Newell buried his volley from 18 yards.

However, their lead was only four minutes old when Bolger rose at the back post to head in Ashley Hunter's free-kick.

Rotherham were in front again in the 77th minute as Richard Wood forced home Newell's free-kick at the near post, and the home side dominated for the rest of the match as they inflicted a first defeat on Fleetwood boss John Sheridan.

Fleetwood had won their previous four games and hadn't conceded a goal in five fixtures before today's encounter.

Michael Smith twice went close and Will Vaulks should have scored with a header as the Millers finished the match how they spent most of it - on top.

Rotherham (4-4-2): Rodak; Vaulks, Ajayi (Emmanuel 64), Wood, Purrington; Forde (Taylor 69), Towell, Palmer, Newell; Ball (Lavery 77), Smith. Subs not used: Price, Ihiekwe, Williams, Yates.

Fleetwood (3-5-2): Cairns; Eastham, Pond, Bolger; Coyle, Dempsey, Diagouraga, Sowerby (Burns 80), Hunter; Madden (Grant 65), McAleny (Hiwula 65). Subs not used: Neal, Glendon, Jones, Biggins.

Goals: Pond og 12, Newell 50, Wood 77 (Rotherham); Eastham 5, Bolger 54 (Fleetwood).

Referee: Carl Boyeson (East Yorkshire).

Attendance: 7,562 (156).

Click here for more Millers news