Eyewitness describes children wrapped in blankets outside burning building in Sheffield suburb

An eyewitness has described dramatic scenes in a Sheffield suburb this morning after a fire broke out in a shop and spread to the flats above.

By Claire Lewis
Sunday, 7th February 2021, 1:02 pm

Jamie Rogers, aged 26, saw a family with young children wrapped in blankets stood in the street as firefighters tackled the blaze on Chesterfield Road, Heeley.

The family is believed to have been evacuated from the terraced street, made up of a number of shops and homes, as a precaution while fire crews tackled the blaze.

It is believed the fire started in Milan’s pizza takeaway and spread to flats above.

Firefighters at the scene of a blaze on Chesterfield Road, Heeley, Sheffield (Photo: SYFR)

Seven fire engines were deployed to the blaze as well as a turntable ladder to douse the flames with water from above.

One casualty was taken to hospital by ambulance earlier today but no other details have yet been released.

An air ambulance was scrambled and landed on the nearby car park of Heeley Retail Park.

South Yorkshire Fire and Rescue described it as a ‘serious’ incident and an investigation is to be launched once the fire is fully extinguished.

Firefighters at the scene of a blaze on Chesterfield Road, Heeley, Sheffield (Photo: SYFR)

Police officers are at the scene and the road is blocked off to passing traffic and pedestrians.

Eyewitness Mr Rogers said: “I looked outside after hearing an alarm sounding and could see smoke.

“The fire services, police and ambulances then started to arrive so it was obvious it was a serious incident.

“I saw firefighters trying to get better access to the building through the garden of The Crown Inn pub and the car park of the flats where I live, Colton House.

“There must have been around 30 of them involved and it is under control now but all the emergency services are still here.”

He added: “I saw a family holding young children wrapped in blankets, who I think came from a couple of doors away from the fire. Thankfully they all got out okay.

“I really hope that nobody was seriously injured and that all the local businesses in that row are not too badly affected after what must have already been a difficult year for them with the pandemic.”

In these confusing and worrying times, local journalism is more vital than ever. Thanks to everyone who helps us ask the questions that matter by taking out a digital subscription or buying a paper. We stand together. Nancy Fielder, editor.