Electrical fault blamed for South Yorkshire house fire

An electrical fault has been blamed for a fire at a property in South Yorkshire.

Saturday, 27th July 2019, 8:36 am
Updated Monday, 29th July 2019, 2:07 pm
Ridgeway Close, East Herringthorpe (google)

Fire crews from Rotherham, Maltby and Aston Park were called to Ridgeway Close, East Herringthorpe at 7:10pm last night, July 26.

Read More

Read More
Police warn against leaving windows open overnight after increase in burglaries in Sheffield suburb

The homeowner, a woman, escaped unharmed after a smoke alarm alerted her to the blaze.

Ridgeway Close, East Herringthorpe (google)

Sign up to our daily newsletter

The i newsletter cut through the noise

She was able to evacuate the property and close all the doors before raising the alarm.

Firefighters left the scene at around 8pm.

A spokesperson for South Yorkshire Fire and Rescue said the fire had been accidental and was caused by the electrical consumer unit or ‘fuse box’.

They added that the incident showed the importance of having working smoke alarms.