A mother has praised children who gave her son first aid after he fell and injured his head.
Zak Dodd, aged nine, was playing with his brother Reece and friends Patrick Jackson and Mikaela West, all aged 11, when he hit his head on a wall, causing it to bleed heavily.
Mum Donna Dodd, 39, said: “It was during the school holidays and it was Zak’s ninth birthday.
“He had gone to the park with his brother and his best friends. I got a call from Reece and he told me Zak had fallen and he was bleeding.
“When I got there the children had put one of their coats on his head to help stop the bleeding.
“I took Zak home and cleaned up the wound. That’s when I realised it was actually only a very small cut, and by then the bleeding had stopped so I didn’t need to take him to hospital.”
The children, all Year 6 pupils at Kirkby Avenue Primary School, Bentley, had learnt first aid at the school in the weeks before the half-term holiday.
Donna added: “I am very proud of what they all did and how they dealt with it. When Reece called me he was calm, and all the other children were the same when I got there.
“They really looked after him, and I think their actions helped with Zak’s recovery.
“At the time, he was understandably upset and they helped to calm him down.
“When I got him home he was a bit shaken up, but he’s fine now. He’s back to his usual mischievous self and it hasn’t stopped him wanting to go out and play.
“He’s very grateful to his friends and very proud of what they did.
“This just shows you why it’s so important that every child learns first aid. I think it should be taught in all schools.”
Authorised first aid trainer Karen Rhodes, who taught the children, said: “I qualified in September and had been running first aid courses with the staff, then I decided I wanted to run a course for the pupils.
“Twelve pupils from Year 5 and Year 6 were chosen to take part in a six-week course.
“They learnt a range of things, including CPR, how to deal with bleeds, how to put somebody in the recovery position and how to deal with asthma attacks.
“I was quite choked up when I heard about what had happened with Zak, I was so proud of them all.
“The whole point of the course was to show children how to deal with these situations if they have gone out alone and there’s no adults around. This incident shows why teaching first aid to children is so important.”
Karen is hoping to introduce first aid classes to pupils in Year 2 upwards from September.