Drunk Rotherham thug beat up girlfriend

Jonathan Wharton has been locked up for attacking his girlfriend.
Jonathan Wharton has been locked up for attacking his girlfriend.
Have your say

A violent thug who battered his girlfriend until she was covered in blood, then beat her again the next morning when she tried to flee, has been jailed for 20 months.

Jonathan Wharton, aged 28, was fuelled with cider when he attacked his partner after a night out.

James Gould, prosecuting, said the couple’s relationship was characterised by ‘jealousy, intimidation and violence’.

He said the pair had been out drinking and were on their way home on the night of the attack on July 13.

Sheffield Crown Court heard an argument broke out and Wharton stormed off.

He said the victim returned home and Wharton was there.

He accused her of cheating on him and, without warning, punched her hard in the head.

Mr Gould said: “He followed her into the bedroom and punched her seven or eight times to the head with both fists.

“He ripped all her clothes off and she was screaming, then he punched her again repeatedly to the face and arms.”

Mr Gould said the woman was covered in blood. “At that stage he stopped, and told her to have a bath and to clean up the blood,” he said.

The next morning the woman woke to find the bedroom and carpet covered in blood, the court heard.

Mr Gould said when she tried to leave Wharton attacked her again.

“He grabbed her by the hair, kicked her, and punched her repeatedly to the head and face. She fell to the ground and he kicked her at least four times.

“He slammed her face into a table, pulled her to the floor and kicked her body. Then he threw her out and said, ‘We’re finished’. She had blood dripping from her head and face.”

The victim suffered cuts and bruises and needed stitches to a cut on her head, while another was glued, Mr Gould said.

Timothy Bubb, defending, said Wharton, of Robinets Road, Greasborough, Rotherham, had a drink problem.

He said he’d pleaded guilty at the first opportunity.

“He’s hampered by the fact he can’t recall all the detail of what happened,” he said. “He wishes he had never done it and he realises drink is the problem.”

Jailing him, Recorder David Dixon told Wharton: “Three years ago you committed a similar but less serious domestic violence-type offence. You completed a domestic violence programme - but you didn’t use those skills to avoid this. As a result, any argument you should be given a chance fails.”

The judge said the first attack was ‘very serious’, adding: “You rolled over and went to sleep - a truly caring individual.
And the following day, you started again.

“This was a sustained and horrible incident.”