Drug and alcohol binge killed Doncaster man,33

NEWS: News.
NEWS: News.
Share this article
Have your say

A two day drink and drugs binge led to the sudden death of a Balby man, a court heard.

Jamie Michael Rowe, aged 33, of Westfield Road, died last May 22 after partying with friends at home, Doncaster Coroner’s Court heard.

Mr Rowe, a Tesco warehouse worker who was nicknamed Bear, was known to like a drink but had never taken drugs before.

He was found lying on his bed the morning after a 48-hour party by Sean Tetley, his friend of 20 years.

Mr Tetley told the hearing Jamie and three friends were drinking and taking tablets believed to be amphetamines and ecstasy between May 20 and 22.

He said: “We were drinking and having a laugh, we started flagging from drinking and someone got some capsules of speed to keep us awake. 
“We stayed up all night until the Tuesday, then went to the garage and got more beer and vodka, we also had some purple tablets.”

After their friends left Jamie and Sean went to bed.

Jamie was found dead shortly after 8am the next morning.

“I wouldn’t describe him as an alcoholic or a drug addict, he was just a normal lad,” added Sean.

Assistant coroner Geoffrey Saul said: “He was a much loved member of his family. 
“Sean Tetley went to see him after a funeral he had attended, some of the detail is difficult to piece together but for the next 48 hours they were in close proximity to each other and a large quantity of alcohol and drugs were consumed. 
“This was out of character for Mr Rowe.

“He loved a good drink but one friend said they’d never know him use drugs before.

“We have heard that there was nothing wrong with him, all his body systems were found as we would expect of a man of his age but there was a high level of stimulant drugs - MDMA, methamphetamine and ecstasy.

“There’s not a shred of evidence that he meant to harm himself by taking such a large amount of alcohol or drugs.

“All evidence points towards accidental consequence. The cause of death was drug and alcohol related.”

Jamie’s mum Denise Rowe said: “He was the life and soul of the party, I’ve never known him take drugs, he always said they were a mug’s game and a waste of money.

“He’s always been a son to be proud of, this has left me devastated, a mother should never have to see this happen to her children.”