Doncaster mum praised neighbours for saving her 2 year old son's life

A Doncaster mum has praised neighbours for saving her two-year-old son's life after he nearly choked to death on a marshmallow.

Friday, 2nd September 2016, 12:11 pm
Updated Friday, 2nd September 2016, 12:16 pm
Lucas-John Myatt Kenyon, two, pictured with parents Kirsty Kenyon, Ben Myatt and sister Lily-Grace Louise Kenyon. Picture: Marie Caley NDFP First Aid MC 1

Kirsty Kenyon is now planning to organise a child first aid course for parents in her community after admitting she had no idea how to deal with the freak accident.

She said: “I don’t believe in miracles but I’m telling you this was a miracle. If his dad and neighbours hadn’t been there to help I’d be planning a funeral now not a first aid course.”

The incident happened when Lucas-John picked up the marshmallow sweet that he found in the garden.

Sign up to our daily newsletter

The i newsletter cut through the noise

Within seconds of putting the sweet in his mouth the youngster collapsed on the floor and started to choke.

Kirsty, of The Crescent, Woodlands, said: “My neighbour’s daughter picked him up and brought him over to his dad. I was screaming when I realised what had happened.

“He tried to whack him on the back but it wasn’t working. I ran into the street screaming and a neighbour came out. I screamed ‘please save my little boy’.”

“At this point Lucas-John was turning purple. His dad and the neighbour were both trying to help him and doing CPR. I was petrified, I went over to him and I could see his lips were jet black and his face was purple, I thought he was dead .

“After a few minutes he took a breath but I still thought that was it, he was going to die.”

After managing to revive the tot, paramedics arrived and he was rushed to Doncaster Royal Infirmary, where a decision was made to transfer him to Sheffield Children’s Hospital where the youngster had a camera put down his throat to ensure there was no lasting damage from the incident.

Although the tot was left shaken by what happened, he has now made a full recovery.

Kirsty added: “I’m still nervous now when he’s eating and it’s really shaken me up but I’m just so thankful we had so much support from the Woodlands community. I can’t stop thanking people.”