Doncaster man denies manslaughter charge over death of baby boy, aged three months
A Doncaster man has pleaded not guilty to a manslaughter charge relating to the tragic death of a three-month old baby.
Christopher Larkin, aged three months, died in hospital the day after emergency services were called to reports he was suffering from a suspected heart attack.
Following little Christopher’s tragic death, James Larkin, of Broadway, Dunscroft, was charged with one count of manslaughter and one of perverting the course of justice.
Laura Ostle, of the same address, was also charged with perverting the course of justice.
Both Mr Larkin, aged 25, and Ms Ostle pleaded not guilty to the charges at a hearing on March 23 at Sheffield Crown Court.
They have been bailed until September, when they are due to go on trial for the offences.
Following Christopher’s death in September of 2014, the Doncaster Safeguarding Children’s Board confirmed a serious case review had been launched.
Chair of Doncaster Safeguarding Children’s Board, John Harris said: “Due to the ongoing criminal proceedings we are unable to comment at this time. However a Serious Case Review
has been instigated by the Doncaster Safeguarding Children’s Board and will conclude following court proceedings as is normal practice.”
Commenting on Christopher’s death shortly afterwards, a police spokesman said: “Emergency services were called to a property in Broadway, Dunscroft, at 7.45am on Tuesday,
September 16, 2014 following reports a three-month-old baby boy, Christopher Larkin, was suffering from a suspected cardiac arrest.
"After initially being taken to Doncaster Royal Infirmary, the baby was transported to Sheffield Children’s Hospital where he sadly died the next day.”