Depressed Sheffield dad took his own life after leaving hospital

Craig Dore (daughter Javvina on the left)
Craig Dore (daughter Javvina on the left)
Have your say

A DEPRESSED dad-of-three leapt to his death from a motorway bridge when he was allowed home visits from hospital just three days after an earlier suicide attempt, an inquest heard.

Craig Dore, aged 49, plunged 200ft from the M1 viaduct at Tinsley while he was supposed to be on two hours’ leave at his home on Totley Hall Mead, Totley.

Sheffield Coroner’s Court yesterday heard Craig, a butcher, barricaded his wife Jillian into their downstairs toilet before escaping in his van and taking his own life.

Eight days earlier, the dad was granted home visits by a consultant psychiatrist at Nether Edge Hospital in Sheffield - the decision was made only three days after Craig tried to hang himself in his garage.

Craig’s oldest daughter Javvina, 31, told the inquest she did not think her dad should have been allowed home so soon and the family had concerns for his safety.

She said: “My mum felt pressurised that she was having to go home for two hours a day at home with him, and felt like she couldn’t cope.”

She said she shared her concerns with hospital staff.

“I explained I didn’t think it was a good decision, because 72 hours previously he tried to hang himself,” she said. “I didn’t think that three days after his suicidal thoughts would have gone away.”

Jillian, who was married to Craig for 29 years, described her husband as a ‘proud man and a good dad’ and said his mental health problems began in April 2010, when he became worried he had a serious illness.

She said: “He’d always been a bit of a hypochondriac but not to the extent that he thought he was really ill.

“We just followed him around all the time, we were afraid of him hurting himself.”

He visited his GP complaining of muscle pains, but a rheumatologist could not find any cause for his symptoms.

Craig was prescribed antidepressants and made his first suicide attempt on December 7, the inquest heard. He left the house, took an overdose of tablets and left a note for Jillian in his office, but returned home later on.

Jillian said: “He was saying ‘I can’t live with this muscle wasting disease that I’ve got’ - which he hadn’t got.”

Craig tried to hang himself on December 18, and Jillian found him unconscious on the garage floor before calling 999.

But Craig got up before the ambulance arrived and drove off in his Peugeot van. He was arrested in Skegness, Lincolnshire, and found carrying a large knife.

Jillian said he was sectioned the same day and transferred to Nether Edge shortly afterwards, but a consultant granted him home leave on December 21.

Jillian said: “I didn’t want him to come home, I thought he would harm himself, and me as well. All the visits were terrible.”

Craig’s home leave was increased to eight hours on Christmas Day and Boxing Day, but on December 29 he told Jillian he was ‘never going back’ to Nether Edge Hospital.

“He dragged me into the hallway and shut me in the toilet and locked the door,” she said. “When I got out I saw the van had gone.”

Craig’s white van was spotted on the hard shoulder on the M1 viaduct at just after 2pm. His body was lying underneath the bridge.

A post-mortem found he suffered a fractured skull and broken bones throughout his body. The cause of death was recorded as multiple injuries.

The inquest continues.

By Richard Blackledge