Damp towels placed in microwave sparks Sheffield house fire

Firefighters have warned people not to dry their towels in a microwave following a house fire in Sheffield.

Tuesday, 5th February 2019, 19:11 pm
Updated Thursday, 7th February 2019, 16:48 pm

Three South Yorkshire Fire and Rescue crews were called out at about 10:20am on Saturday to reports of a fire in the kitchen of a house on Eyam Road in Crookes.

Eyam Road, Crookes. Picture: Google.

A damp towel had been placed in a microwave to dry and the occupant had returned to the kitchen and found the microwave on fire and the room filled with smoke.

Sign up to our daily newsletter

The i newsletter cut through the noise

Nobody was seriously hurt in the incident, the fire service said.

The fire service said the incident served as a reminder never to place items in microwave ovens unless specified on the item's instructions.