Damage from accidental fires

Share this article
Have your say

FIRE broke out at a flat in Barnsley when the resident fell asleep leaving food cooking in the oven.

The fire started on Barnsley Road, Goldthorpe, at 3.30am on New Year’s Day. Two crews from Dearne station and one from Adwick in Doncaster extinguished the flames. The occupant was not hurt.

Crews were also called to a chimney blaze which started accidentally at a house on Rookery Way, Thurgoland, on New Year’s Day. The chimney led from a log-burning stove, and a crew from Tankersley station was called at noon.

A garage at a house in Barnsley was badly damaged by a fire sparked by a fault in its electric door mechanism. The blaze broke out at 2.30am on New Year’s Day at a property on Russell Close, Monk Bretton. Flames spread to bags of clothes being stored.