Dad lost sight of choirboy son in Hillsborough terrace crush

Paul Murray, one of the victims of the Hillsborough Disaster. Picture courtesy of the Liverpool Echo.
Paul Murray, one of the victims of the Hillsborough Disaster. Picture courtesy of the Liverpool Echo.
Have your say

A father has described losing sight of his 14-year-old son as they were caught in crushing on the Hillsborough terraces.

Paul Murray, who was a member of his local church choir in Stoke-on-Trent, was among the 96 Liverpool supporters who died at the FA Cup semi-final in 1989.

His father Anthony Murray gave evidence at the new inquests and said the pair had travelled to the game on a supporters’ coach.

He said they arrived outside the Leppings Lane at around 2.45pm, where they had become caught up in a crush.

Mr Murray said: “When I tried to get out of the crowd I moved towards the side, which I now know to be the embankment side of where the river was and then I noticed that the gate was, had been opened, and people were going through it, so I started to make my way down.”

He said they went through the tunnel and into Pen Three on the terraces.

Mr Murray said when they were on the terrace somebody bumped into Paul and he spun round to face him.

He said: “It was quite strange really, because there seemed to be a lot of room in front of us, and as I moved to the side, I was just about to turn around and speak to Paul, and somebody else came down the terracing and sort of caught him on the shoulder and knocked him round and as I went down to try and stop him, I got knocked, myself and I went tumbling down the terracing, and I didn’t see Paul again.”

Mr Murray ended up on his side in the crush and was later taken to hospital with a suspected broken leg.

The court also heard from ambulanceman Stephen Chippendale, who tried to revive Paul on the pitch.

He said Paul was ‘very waxy looking’ and was not moving.

Mr Chippendale said there was no response and no change in Paul’s condition as he was treated.

Footage was shown to the court from 3.28pm, where it appeared to show Paul’s face covered by clothing.

The footage was played again in slow motion and Mr Chippendale agreed it looks like he was arranging a piece of black clothing over Paul.

He said he didn’t remember doing that and wouldn’t have placed clothing over Paul’s face because of his training.

Mr Chippendale said there was no possibility that he missed either a low or slow pulse.

Police officers carried Paul towards the stadium gym, where he was confirmed dead by a doctor.

On the evening of the game, Mr Murray’s neighbour was told he was in hospital and Paul was missing.

Paul’s mother Edna went with their neighbour to the Northern General Hospital and at 2.30am in the morning was shown Paul’s photographic identity card by a police sergeant.

She identified her son’s body at 9.20am on the morning of April 16.