Woman who mugged widow of Sheffield murder victim avoids jail for two further attacks

Mona Has Yousjef
Mona Has Yousjef
Have your say

A woman who mugged the widow of murdered Sheffield church organist Alan Greaves has been spared jail after admitting more crimes.

Mona Youssef, aged 24, ripped the handbag off the shoulder of a woman in Sheffield and took hundreds of pounds from her bank account using a stolen card.

She also attempted to take £40 from another woman seconds after the woman withdrew it from a supermarket cash machine.

Sheffield Crown Court heard Youssef was seriously ill at the time of both attacks and has been ordered to undergo mental health treatment.

The attempted robbery was at a cash machine outside Waitrose, Sheffield city centre, on Monday, July 21, last year.

Nicola Quinney, prosecuting, said Youssef tussled with the victim before fleeing empty-handed.

In the second attack, 10 days later, Youssef grabbed a handbag from a woman’s shoulder as the woman walked with a friend to The Milestone restaurant in Kelham Island.

The bag was later discovered without a purse , which contained bank cards and a driving licence.

Youseff withdrew £800 in three transactions from the victim’s bank account between July 31 and August 3.

Youssef, who has been in custody since August 2014, admitted attempted robbery and two offences of theft.

Judge Robert Moor handed Youssef a two-year community service, with conditions she must live in Launce Road, Southey Green for a year and undergo two years of supervision and mental health treatment.

He said she would have faced a lengthy prison sentence if she had not been ill.

In May, Youseff laughed in the dock as she was told to pay £250 in compensation after admitting mugging Maureen Greaves.

The attack, outside shops in Chapeltown, Sheffield, in June 2013 left Mrs Greaves shaken, bruised and with a cut cheek.

At the time, Mrs Greaves said: “It was very frightening. The worst thing was it made me imagine Alan being attacked and what he was feeling.”

Mr Greaves, a married father of four, died after he was attacked with a pickaxe handle while on his way to play the organ at St Saviour’s Church, High Green, Sheffield, on Christmas Eve 2012.

Jonathan Bowling, of Carwood Way, Pitsmoor, Sheffield, was jailed for life, to serve a minimum of 25 years, after admitting Mr Greaves’ murder.

Ashley Foster, of Wesley Road, High Green, was jailed for nine years after being convicted of manslaughter following a trial.