Vile rapist stalked then attacked Sheffield student in Endcliffe Park

editorial image
Have your say

A man faces years behind bars for raping a terrified teenager he followed through Sheffield before grabbing her in a headlock and attacking her.

Jamie Seaton claims to have ‘little recollection’ of the sex attack in Endcliffe Park, which has left his victim, aged 18 at the time, suffering nightmares and flashbacks.

Sheffield Crown Court yesterday heard his victim often blames herself for walking home alone on the night she was targeted.

The Sheffield University student, who had become separated from friends and did not have enough money for a taxi, said: “I blame myself at times, questioning why I walked home alone.”

The student, who was seconds from home when targeted, said she had experienced ‘irrational fears’ her attacker would track her down and now feels ‘timid, shy and paranoid’.

Seaton, of Burrowlee Road, Owlerton, trailed her for 40 minutes after spotting her walking alone on West Street in the city centre in the early hours of May 10.

CCTV images captured him stalking her before catching up with her on Endcliffe Vale Road and attempting to talk to her, before ‘dragging her in a headlock’ into Endcliffe Park.

Charlotte Baines, prosecuting, said Seaton was in ‘pursuit’ of his victim for 40 minutes before he pounced and pinned her up against a wall, accusing her of wanting to be raped and calling her insulting names.

Dragging her by her hair, Seaton then ‘threw her to the ground’ and attacked her.

Afterwards, he frogmarched her through the park and threatened to ‘come and get her’ again if she reported him.

Miss Baines, prosecuting, said: “He said he was going to take her to his flat and there were 10 men waiting for her. She was threatened he would drown her.”

Seaton was arrested after detectives found images of him following his victim and tracked him back to earlier footage of him withdrawing cash on West Street.

Robert Smith, for Seaton, said: “He has little recollection of these events. He feels disgusted at what happened. He can give no explanation as to why it happened.”

Mr Smith said 25-year-old Seaton, who admitted rape and two counts of assault by penetration, knew he had ‘thrown his life away for a number of years’.

Sentencing was adjourned.