Verdicts returned in Jordan Thomas murder trial

Jordan Thomas, aged 22, died as a result of gunshot injuries
Jordan Thomas, aged 22, died as a result of gunshot injuries
Have your say

A man has been found guilty of murdering Jordan Thomas in Sheffield.

Jama Ahmed, of Broomhall Place, was found guilty by a majority verdict of murdering Mr Thomas in a shooting on Derek Dooley Way, on December 21, last year.

The 26-year-old was also found guilty of attempting to murder Mr Thomas’ friend, Neshaun Ferguson, following a seven-week trial at Sheffield Crown Court.

A second man, Asif Yousaf, of Violet Bank Road, was cleared of murder and attempted murder, also by a majority verdict of 11-1.

The 33-year-old had accepted driving the car used in the murder, but said he had not been inside during the killing.

He had claimed he had dropped the vehicle off in Upperthorpe on night of killing and had no idea what it would be used for.

Yousaf’s father, Mohammed Yousaf, 61, also of Violet Bank Road, was found guilty of perverting the course of justice by a majority of 11-1.


Killer of Jordan Thomas shouts ‘Allahu Akbar’ as he is jailed for 36 years

Family ‘destroyed’ by Jordan Thomas murder

First picture of Jordan Thomas’ killer

Police pledge to continue investigation into Jordan Thomas murder

Mr Thomas, aged 22, was shot twice in the chest by a masked gunman, allegedly in connection with a long-running feud’ between rival groups of young men.

Mr Thomas’s grandmother, Lynn Hamblett, wept in the public gallery as the verdicts were read out.

Following the verdict, a family statement was read to the court by Mr Thomas’ brother about the impact of his death.

In the statement, Mrs Hamblett said: “The light in my life has been extinguished, the sweetness has left my life.”

She said Mr Thomas’ had never been arrested in relation to drugs and added: “The depths the defence has stooped to, has no bounds.”

Mr Thomas’ brother, a schoolteacher, has said Mr Thomas ‘always had a smile on his face and loved life’.

He told the jury that in their absence the court has heard ‘some of those involved have fled the country’ and ‘the truth was missing quite a lot’ during the trial.

He said: “We will never forgive, we will never forget, we will never be at peace again.”