Two bailed over Sheffield murder

Police at the scene in Vickers Road, Page Hall, Sheffield.
Police at the scene in Vickers Road, Page Hall, Sheffield.
Have your say

Two men arrested over a murder in Sheffield have been bailed by police while a third suspect remains in custody.

The 83-year-old and 20-year-old men released by police were quizzed over the death of a 39-year-old woman yesterday.

Another man, aged 42, is still being held this morning.

Vickers Road in Firth Park was cordoned off for most of yesterday as officers at the scene conducted inquiries after being alerted to the death at 11.35am.

A South Yorkshire Police spokeswoman said: “Two men arrested in connection with the death of a 39-year-old woman in Sheffield have been bailed as the investigation continues.

“Police were called at around 11.35am on Sunday to a property in Vickers Road, Firth Park, where the body of a 39-year-old woman was found.

“Vickers Road is currently closed while inquiries are carried out and is expected to remain closed for the next 24 hours.

“Three men were arrested on suspicion of murder. An 83-year-old man and a 20-year-old man have been bailed pending further inquiries.

“A 42-year-old man remains in police custody.

“A forensic post mortem examination is expected to take place later today.

“Formal identification has not yet taken place.”

Neighbour Asim Iqbal, 21, who lives opposite the woman’s house, said the family were quiet and kept themselves to themselves.

He said: “I woke up at noon and police officers were everywhere.

“Twenty minutes later the police led out the elderly gentleman who lives there in handcuffs, followed by two other men who were both in handcuffs too.”

Mr Iqbal said he did not know the family well, having only lived there for a year.

He said he believed the family had lived in the same house for many years.

“I regularly see the elderly gentleman as he leaves the house and goes to the mosque in the morning. People call him ‘uncle’,” he added.

“The woman who I have not seen come out of the house was a very quiet woman, she was very nice, I can’t imagine what has happened to her.”

Mr Iqbal said Vickers Road was normally a very quiet street.

He said: “I have been unable to get out of my house due to the cordon. It’s annoying, but the police have not told us anything other than it is a serious incident.

“I’m well aware of that as I’ve seen cordons like this before, they go in sections and we have to sit tight.”

Anyone with information should call South Yorkshire Police on 101, quoting incident number 454 of August 10, or Crimestoppers on 0800 555 111.