South Yorkshire woman ‘murdered’ after reuniting with ex-lover on Facebook, jury told

Court: News and reports from the law courts.
Court: News and reports from the law courts.
Have your say

a WOMAN was stabbed to death after posting a photograph of herself on Facebook and reuniting with an ex-boyfriend, a court heard.

Lee Hendry, aged 52, of Princess Street, Brimington, was found stabbed to death at 32-year-old Alexander Burnett’s home in Westlea View, Clowne, only hours after the former lovers rekindled their relationship, it is alleged.

A knife had pierced Ms Hendry’s neck, jugular vein and a rib, and she had bruising around her neck that may have ‘rendered her unconscious’.

Peter Joyce QC, prosecuting, said Burnett told police a sex game had gone wrong, and that Ms Hendry had died during ‘an accident of sexual play’.

But Mr Joyce said: “A knife in the neck that deep, that hard, that far, is not sexual play.

“Something terrible went wrong between the two of them that night.”

Mr Joyce told jurors the pair lived together briefly 12 years ago before they started to exchange texts and phone calls and agreed to meet up.

“Lee Hendry had a photo of herself on Facebook,” said Mr Joyce.

“The defendant saw it and made contact with her after many years apart, and she agreed to meet him.”

Jurors were told Burnett was ‘worse for drink already’ when he met up with Ms Hendry again after years apart.

Back at his house, he and Ms Hendry are said to have gone up and down stairs together ‘three or four times’.

The court heard Ms Hendry also texted a friend and told her the two of them had just had sex.

But jurors were told that, in early hours of September 12 last year, Burnett and Ms Hendry went into the garden to have a smoke and were heard to have a disagreement.

Burnett, who denies murder, later turned up at Chesterfield Police Station to inform officers Ms Hendry had died. He said her body was on his bedroom floor.

Ms Hendry’s blood is said to have been found under Burnett’s fingernails.

His fingerprints were also allegedly found on a knife in his bedroom.

The trial at Nottingham Crown Court continues.