South Yorkshire man threatened to cut ex-boyfriend into ‘small pieces’

editorial image
Have your say

A man who threatened to cut his ex-boyfriend ‘to small pieces’ as he held a knife to his throat has been given a suspended jail sentence.

Carl Jepson, aged 28, used the knife as he rowed with his partner, after first punching and grabbing the other man round the throat in the incident on July 6.

Police called to the scene had to use a Taser on Jepson to pacify him.

Jepson pleaded guilty to assault occasioning actual bodily harm at a previous hearing at Rotherham Magistrates’ Court and was sentenced to 30 weeks in prison suspended for 18 months at Sheffield Crown Court.

As part of the order, he will be under supervision for 18 months and must also complete a drug rehabilitation programme over the next year.

The court heard Jepson, of Conyers Drive, Aston, near Rotherham, had been in a long-term relationship with the other man that had ended in March, although the pair had remained friends.

The victim had gone out in Rotherham and when he got back home was confronted by Jepson who was angry he had been kept waiting for his return after ringing him earlier in the day.

Beverley Tait, prosecuting, said Jepson had told police the other man had started the violence by hitting him with an iron.

As the argument became more violent, Jepson took a knife from a kitchen drawer and held it to the other man’s throat, saying ‘I’m going to cut you, I’m going to cut you into small pieces’.

A mark was left on the victim’s neck from the knife and when police arrived at the scene they used a Taser on Jepson after he verbally abused them and was seen holding an object in his hand.

When he was interviewed by police about the incident, Jepson said he had been angry because the complainant had not come home straight away after he phoned him, leading to the argument.

Richard Jepson, defending, who is no relation to his client, said the pair’s relationship had been a ‘difficult and mutually corrosive one’ with police called out to arguments between them on previous occasions.

Mr Jepson said the incident was a product of several years of problems between the pair.

“It was nine years in the making,” he said.

“There have been periods of stability but it has ended in an ugly incident to say the very least.

“He is genuinely sorry for it and still cares for the complainant.”

Sentencing, Judge Robert Moore said it had been a ‘serious incident’.

But he added: “The injury was slight and you didn’t try to attack him further.

“That allows me to suspend the sentence.”

He said if Jepson fails to complete the supervision elements of his suspended sentence he will be sent to jail.