Simon’s murder: Man, 45, in court

Simon Holdsworth
Simon Holdsworth
Have your say

A man has appeared in court this morning charged with the murder of Sheffield paint sprayer Simon Holdsworth.

Shaun Richard Wainright, aged 45, of Dagnam Road, Arbourthorne, appeared at Sheffield Magistrates’ Court for a short hearing after being charged by police last night.

He stood in the dock flanked by two prison officers and spoke only to confirm his name and address.

Bald-headed Wainright, who had tattoos on his arms and neck, was wearing a white T-shirt with a print on the front and blue jeans.

Prosecutor Chantel Lowery-Green, said the case was too serious to be heard at the magistrates’ court and would be transferred to Sheffield Crown Court.

The proceedings were watched by Mr Holdsworth’s mother Christine and his fiance Carleen McKeown.

Carleen, who was visibly upset, sat with detectives from the force’s major incident team and family liaison officers.

She was physically supported by them as she left court.

During the five minute hearing Wainright waved to two women in the public gallery.

Mr Holdsworth, 36, of Westfield Avenue, Hackenthorpe, was discovered in a field next to Rainbow Forge Primary School, off Birley Spa Lane, Hackenthorpe, on December 17.

A post mortem examination revealed he died from head injuries.

At the time he worked at FBS Prestige in Intake, Sheffield.

He and his Carleen were engaged to be married and Simon was step-dad to her son Tiarnan, who turned four on Christmas Eve.

Simon was allegedly attacked after getting off a number 120 First bus close to The Hogs Head pub on Delves Road, Hackenthorpe, as he made his way home from work.

Friends said he had been working extra shifts in order to save money to pay for the couple’s big day.

Simon was a keen Sheffield Wednesday fan, well known by fellow supporters on the terraces at Hillsborough.

In March, detectives investigating the attack used the BBC’s Crimewatch programme to appeal for help.

The case was sent to Sheffield Crown Court where it will be heard on July 10 and Wainright was remanded in custody.