Sheffield woman raped by club bouncer - court

News: Local, national and international news 24-hours a day.
News: Local, national and international news 24-hours a day.
Share this article
Have your say

A WOMAN awoke to find she was being raped by a casino bouncer after a night out in Sheffield city centre, a court heard.

The woman claims she was attacked by Stephen Clegg, aged 53, after he saw her home and she fell asleep on the sofa.

Rachel Harrison told Sheffield Crown Court Clegg raped the woman in the early hours of January 13 this year.

Clegg of Slate Street, Heeley, denies rape.

The woman told the jury she froze when she awoke to find Clegg touching her, then he raped her.

Giving evidence on a DVD played to the court, the woman said: “I didn’t know what to do about the situation as it had never happened before.

“When he finished, he got up. I opened my eyes and I saw him doing up his trousers and get out a cigarette.

“I ran up the stairs to the bathroom and locked myself in. He was knocking on the door, saying he wanted to speak to me. He said ‘I need to speak to you, open the door’.

“Then I remembered my friend was asleep downstairs on her own. I unlocked the door and ran downstairs. He was already gone.”

The court heard the victim and her friend had been on a night out in Sheffield city centre with a group which included Clegg.

The woman said her friend had gone home early and she had followed about an hour later after collapsing in the toilets and being sick.

She said she asked Clegg, whom she knew, to accompany her as she was scared of getting a taxi home on her own.

When they arrived at the house she shared with her friend, her pal was on the doorstep unable to find her keys.

The woman said: “Steve found the keys on the floor between the step and the wheelie bin. I followed my friend into the living room then I fell asleep.

“At that point I didn’t know where Steve was. I know he followed us into the house and asked if we were alright.”

She added earlier in the evening she had passed out in the toilets of the bar and been sick but told police she wasn’t drunk.

The trial continues.