Sheffield thug who threatened ex-partner at her home spared jail

A furious thug who used threatening behaviour when he turned up at the home of his ex’s new partner has narrowly been spared from custody.

Wednesday, 11th December 2019, 3:30 pm
Updated Friday, 13th December 2019, 6:03 pm

Sheffield Magistrates’ Court heard on December 9 how Luke Adam Auty, aged 24, of Manor Park Crescent, Wybourn, turned up at the property banging and kicking at the door and it was also feared he had been armed with a blade.

Prosecuting solicitor Rob Coyne said: “The complainant described the defendant being outside at the address banging and kicking the door and he believed he was in possession of a bladed article at that time and was making threats.”

The defendant was shouting for the complainant to come outside, according to Mr Coyne, and he was seen through frosted glass holding something and making stabbing movements and the door was damaged.

Sign up to our daily newsletter

The i newsletter cut through the noise

Sheffield Magistrates' Court

Mr Coyne said that prior to the incident Auty had also sent texts to his ex threatening to stab her new partner and that he would drag him out and run him over.

Auty also assaulted a police officer who thought the defendant might be in possession of a bladed article, according to Mr Coyne, as he ran towards the officer and had to be subdued.

Auty, who has a previous conviction for assault, pleaded guilty to using threatening behaviour, assaulting a police officer and damaging French doors after the incident on December 7.

He also pleaded guilty to sending texts with the purpose of causing distress or anxiety on December 5.

Defence solicitor Geoff Fleming said Auty has only recently had problems with the law and the root cause has been linked to his former relationship.

Mr Flemming said: “He accepts he was in the wrong and accepts there will be a price to be paid.”

Auty was sentenced to 12 weeks of custody suspended for 12 months with a Rehabilitation Activity Requirement, 120 hours of unpaid work and a curfew until March, 2020.

He was also given a two-year restraining order and he must pay £100 compensation.