Sheffield shop owner ‘severely burnt' in horror flat fire still in hospital three weeks on

A man severely burnt in a flat fire in Sheffield remains in hospital three weeks on.

Thursday, 4th March 2021, 7:54 am

The elderly man was found by firefighters during a search of flats on Chesterfield Road, Heeley, after a huge blaze broke out in a shop on the floor below.

The fire started in a window shop on Sunday, February 7 morning and spread to the flats above.

Flames also got into the roof space of the terraced row of businesses and homes.

Sign up to our daily newsletter

The i newsletter cut through the noise

Chesterfield Road Heeley building damage from fire

An investigation established that the fire in Heeley started accidentally and the cause was ‘probably electrical in origin’.

The injured man rescued by firefighters was taken to hospital in a critical condition.

At the height of the blaze there were 40 firefighters at the scene, with crews spending most of the day there.

An air ambulance was scrambled as a precaution as emergency services were alerted to the blaze and the potential for multiple casualties.

Read More

Read More
Final written warning for South Yorkshire Police officer over handling of rape a...

In these confusing and worrying times, local journalism is more vital than ever. Thanks to everyone who helps us ask the questions that matter by taking out a digital subscription or buying a paper. We stand together. Nancy Fielder, editor.