Sheffield police chief issues plea over New Year's Day killing

The officer in charge of policing Sheffield has issued a plea for help as detectives investigate a fatal stabbing in the city on New Year’s Day.

Friday, 3rd January 2020, 7:34 am

Sheffield’s District Commander, Chief Superintendent Stuart Barton, has called for anyone with any information about the murder of 18-year-old Isaiah Usen-Satchell to come forward to help crack the case.

Isaiah was stabbed during an incident on St Aidan’s Road, Norfolk Park, and suffered a number of slash wounds to his arms and legs, with one to his wrist proving fatal.

Reiterating a plea by Detective Chief Inspector Jude Ashmore, who is leading the police probe into the killing, Chf Supt Barton said: “This is without doubt a tragic loss of a young life and Mr Usen-Satchell’s family are firmly in my mind as we continue our enquiries into his death.

Sign up to our daily newsletter

The i newsletter cut through the noise

Sheffield's District Commander, Chief Superintendent Stuart Barton

“Understandably this incident has caused great distress within the community and I would like them to know that we will continue to have officers in the area for reassurance over the coming week.

“Please do speak to officers if you have any concerns, they are there to support you at what we know is an upsetting time.

“I’d like to reiterate what DCI Ashmore has said about contacting us with any information, however tiny or insignificant you may feel it is. It could prove vital to our investigation to find exactly what happened on New Year’s Day.”

DCI Ashmore said “A priority for us is also establishing the victim’s movements late on New Year’s Eve and into New Year’s Day.

“At this time, the motive for the attack isn’t clear, however we do believe those involved were known to each other.

“I’d like to please ask that anyone who saw Mr Usen-Satchell earlier that morning or who has any information at all about the incident to contact us.”

Three Rotherham men, two aged 18 and one aged 20, have been arrested on suspicion of murder and remained in police custody last night.

Police officers spent yesterday conducting a thorough search of the area where Isaiah was stabbed.

Detectives believe those involved were known to each other.