Sheffield pervert who 'sent picture of penis' trapped by police after officer posed as 12-year-old boy

A pervert was snared by police during “Operation Reveal” after an officer posed online as a 12-year-old boy.

Wednesday, 11th November 2020, 3:00 pm

Sheffield Crown Court heard on Tuesday, November 10, how Ben Bachelor, aged 42, of Derbyshire Lane, Norton Lees, Sheffield, initiated contact through an online dating app with the officer whom the defendant later believed was a youngster.

Ian Goldsack, prosecuting, said: “The circumstances are that the defendant initiated contact through the Grinder dating app and that contact occurred on two separate occasions.”

Mr Goldsack added Bachelor initially posted five comments on the profile of the contact, who called himself ‘Liam’, and he sent a picture of a penis and during a second initiated contact two weeks later ‘Liam’ engaged in correspondence.

Sign up to our daily newsletter

The i newsletter cut through the noise

Sheffield Crown Court, pictured, heard how South Yorkshire Police's Operation Reveal used an undercover officer posing as a 12-year-old boy online to snare a pervert.

The conversation was sexualised and after ‘Liam’ identified himself as 12-year-old boy Bachelor once again sent the image of a penis and the defendant suggested they engage in oral and anal intercourse with exchanges suggesting they should meet, according to Mr Goldsack.

Mr Goldsack added Bachelor asked for non-nude pictures and told the contact if they did meet they should only do things on his terms but he hoped he could help ‘Liam’ through his first sexual encounter.

Bachelor told police he had been an “idiot” and he would not have gone through with a meeting.

The defendant pleaded guilty to attempting to engage in sexual communication with a child after the incident in August, 2018.

Mr Goldsack said the undercover officer working was as part of Operation Reveal.

Rebecca Filletti, defending, said: “Mr Bachelor clearly understands that custody is an option for the court and he understands the seriousness of the offending.”

She added the offending took place during a short period and no youngster was harmed and Bachelor has been honest about what happened with all those around him.

Ms Filletti said: “He has been prescribed sleeping tablets which he is trying not to take. He has described it as a ‘hellish period’.”

Recorder Gavin Doig acknowledged Bachelor is effectively of previous good character and has expressed remorse.

He sentenced Bachelor to eight months of custody suspended for two years with a Rehabilitation Activity Requirement.

Bachelor was also made subject to a ten-year Sexual Harm Prevention Order.

Read More

Read More
Man accused of murdering Doncaster woman Amy-Leanne Stringfellow faces trial thi...

A message from the Editor:

Thank you for reading this story on our website. While I have your attention, I also have an important request to make of you.

With the coronavirus lockdown having a major impact on many of our advertisers - and consequently the revenue we receive - we are more reliant than ever on you taking out a digital subscription.

Subscribe to The Star website and enjoy unlimited access to local news and information online and on our app. With a digital subscription, you can read more than 5 articles, see fewer ads, enjoy faster load times, and get access to exclusive newsletters and content.

Visit https://www.thestar.co.uk/subscriptions now to sign up.

Our journalism costs money and we rely on advertising, print and digital revenues to help to support them. By supporting us, we are able to support you in providing trusted, fact-checked content for this website.

Thank you

Nancy Fielder, editor