Sheffield mum Sarah Barrass accused of murdering two sons to stand trial

A trial date has been set for a Sheffield mother accused of murdering her two teenage sons.

Wednesday, 29th May 2019, 12:28 pm

Sarah Barrass, 34, of Gregg House Road, Shiregreen appeared at Sheffield Crown Court this morning, accused of murdering 14-year-old Blake Barrass and 13-year-old Tristen Barrass on Friday.

Brandon Machin, 37, of no fixed abode, is also accused of murdering the two boys.

Barrass, who appeared at court wearing a grey sweatshirt and jogging bottoms, is also accused of three counts of attempted murder, relating to offences alleged to have been carried out against two other children.

Sign up to our daily newsletter

The i newsletter cut through the noise

Court artist sketch by Elizabeth Cook of Sarah Barrass, 34, and Brandon Machin, 37, flanked by security staff as they sit in the dock at Sheffield Crown Court, where they are accused of murdering Blake Barrass, 14, and 13-year-old Tristan Barrass following an incident in the Shiregreen area of Sheffield on Friday. Picture: Elizabeth Cook/PA Wire

Read More

Read More
Post mortem examinations carried out on bodies of Sheffield boys at centre of mu...

Those two children – as well as two others – cannot be named for legal reasons.

A High Court injunction banning their identification covers social media comments, photographs or anything else that could lead to their identification.

South Yorkshire Police has warned that those who name the youngsters could be charged with contempt of court.

Judge Roger Thomas QC fixed a provisional trial for November 12.

No pleas were entered during the short, 10-minute hearing.

Judge Thomas remanded Barrass and Machin, who appeared at court wearing a green sweatshirt, into custody until their next appearance at court on June 21.

Barrass and Machin were charged after emergency services were called to a property in Shiregreen on Friday, May 24.

Six children were taken to hospital, including Blake and Tristan, who later died.

The other four children were released from hospital on Saturday.

South Yorkshire Police confirmed that post mortem examinations have been carried out but the results have not been disclosed for ‘operational reasons’.