Sheffield man set fire to partner’s home after ‘affair’ row

Kevan Brown jailed for three years, four months for arson.
Kevan Brown jailed for three years, four months for arson.
Have your say

A MAN set fire to his partner’s Sheffield home causing £50,000 worth of damage after she threw him out for accusing her of having an affair.

Kevan Brown, aged 33, was jailed for three years and four months at Sheffield Crown Court after he admitted the arson attack at Lousie Davies’ home in Wybourn House Road, Wybourn, in August.

Sheffield Crown Court heard the couple had been in a ‘rocky relationship’ for four years and had a three-year-old daughter.

Bev Tait, prosecuting, said they had an argument and Brown, who was drunk, wrongly accused Miss Davies of having an affair.

She said: “She’d had enough and told him to leave. Threats were made to her and her 17-year-old daughter and she contacted her sister to pick her up and take her away.”

Miss Tait said at 8.39pm Miss Davies received a text from Brown, which read: “I’m sorry for what happens next.”

“Then there was a phone call from him regarding him having burned the house down, “ she said.

“Her sister went back to the scene and saw the family home was on fire.”

Miss Tait said three fire crews dealt with the blaze which caused £50,000 of damage.

Firefighters initially fought the flames from the outside because of its ferocity.

The fire had been started deliberately in the lounge by a cigarette or a lighter.

Miss Tait said Miss Davies had lived in the house, owned by Great Places Housing, all her life.

Her parents had held the tenancy and it was passed to her when they died.

Miss Tait said: “She lost everything, she was in turmoil. She had lost her childhood home, it has been destroyed.

“She felt sick and over £3,500 worth of her property has been destroyed.”

Vanessa Saxton, defending, said Brown pleaded guilty to arson at the first opportunity.

Judge Alan Goldsack QC told Brown: “This was a very special house for her, she had spent all her life in it.

“You made no attempt to ring 999 and neighbours alerted the authorities.

“Three crews of firefighters were put at risk which is what always happens when there’s a house fire and they don’t know if anyone is inside.
“This was a particularly serious offence of arson.”