Sheffield man brandished knife to quieten noisy house party

A Sheffield man who brandished a knife and threatened to kill his housemates because they kept him awake with a party has been locked up.

Thursday, 21st January 2021, 8:46 am

Darren Downer began shouting abuse at the female guests of the men he shared a house with on Bolsover Road, in the early hours of December 28, last year, said prosecutor Katy Rafter.

When he was challenged about his behaviour, Downer took a knife with a seven-inch blade from a kitchen drawer and waved it around, telling the men he was going to kill them.

"I'll have the lot of you," he said. "I'll stab you all."

Sign up to our daily newsletter

The i newsletter cut through the noise

Darren Downer

Downer calmed down and put away the knife after police were called and he waited outside for them to arrive.

But he became obstructive and spat at an officer as he was arrested, shouting: "If I see you again I will kill you."

The court heard Downer has 13 previous convictions, including sentences for common assault in 2014, 2015 and 2018, and he was jailed for 27 months in 2019 for violence involving an ex-partner.

Mark Dooley, mitigating, said; "He accepts he will receive a custodial sentence. He has been recalled to prison until November this year."

He said Downer deserved full credit for his early guilty pleas, after he was released on licence in August last year.

He had been at the address for five days following a burglary which forced himself to leave his previous home.

Mr Dooley said the defendant found himself with a number of men and there were frequently “unwanted visitors”.

“He would say he had been kept awake and struggled to cope with the accommodation,” he said. “He picked up the knife with the intention of making them be quiet.

“He became agitated when he was told he had to wear handcuffs,” said Mr Dooley. “He hopes to settle in South Yorkshire after his release and intends to use his time in custody constructively.”

Downer, 32, of Bolsover Road, Sheffield, pleaded guilty to assaulting an emergency worker and three counts of making threats to kill, on December 29.

Judge Roger Thomas QC told him he reacted "very badly" and his behaviour was "entirely inexcusable." He sentenced him to 21 months in prison on Thursday.

Read the latest cases from Sheffield Crown Court here.

Thank you to all who support local journalism with a digital or print subscription to The Star. The events of 2020 mean trusted, local journalism is more reliant than ever on your support. We couldn't do it without you. Subscribe here so we can keep campaigning on your behalf. Stay safe.