Sheffield knife killing trauma for witnesses

Nightmares: Steve Sheppard saw the murder
Nightmares: Steve Sheppard saw the murder
Have your say

WITNESSES to a fatal stabbing on a Sheffield street are being offered support by police and health professionals to help them come to terms with the harrowing scenes.

Shocked residents on Blackstock Road watched helplessly in horror as 46-year-old Dimitrina Borisova was stabbed to death in broad daylight in the middle of Blackstock Road, Gleadless Valley.

Katie Riley, aged 30, who lives close to the murder scene, was cleaning her children’s bedrooms when she heard screaming and looked outside to see Dimitrina, from Hillsborough, collapsing to the ground being stabbed.

She ran outside to help, and cradled the dying woman in her arms while emergency services raced to the scene.

Pub landlord Steve Shephard, who runs the John O’Gaunt pub, also witnessed the murder.

He said he will have nightmares, and both said they will never forget the attack.

Detective Chief Inspector Phil Etheridge, who is overseeing the investigation, said: “Some people witnessed this and have found it very traumatic. We are working with the health service and offering support to help them get over this ordeal.”

Sheffield’s District Commander Chief Superintendent David Hartley added: “This has been a distressing time for many local people, some of whom witnessed the incident that led to Dimitrina’s death.

“Necessary support is being provided by police and partner agencies.”

South Yorkshire Police have charged 44-year-old Turkish national Erhan Mehmedov, from Blackstock Road, with murder.

Mehmedov, the father of Ms Borisova’s two-year-old child, appeared at Sheffield Magistrates’ Court on Saturday and had his case committed to Sheffield Crown Court, where he will appear on Friday.

A woman in her 70s also arrested in connection with murder investigation has been bailed by police pending further inquiries.

Police sealed off Blackstock Road after the attack was reported at around 12noon on Thursday and kept it cordoned off until Sunday night.

DCI Etheridge said patrols have been stepped up in Gleadless Valley, and praised the community for their ‘co-operation’ with the investigation.

“We are still doing house-to-house inquiries, which we expect to be doing for most of the week,” he said.

Chf Supt Hartley added: “There has been an increased police presence in Gleadless Valley and I wish to thank local residents for their patience and cooperation while officers have conducted inquiries.

“The scene has now been released but officers will continue to provide visible reassurance in the area.”

Anyone with information should call South Yorkshire Police on 101 quoting incident 366 of February 21. Crimestoppers can also be contacted on 0800 555 111.