Sheffield Crown Court LIVE: All the latest on cases heard today

Good morning and welcome to our live blog.

Thursday, 16th July 2020, 12:46 pm
Updated Thursday, 16th July 2020, 12:48 pm

We will be bringing you all the latest updates on cases taking place at Sheffield Crown Court today.

Sign up to our daily newsletter

The i newsletter cut through the noise

Our reporter Tim Cunningham will be bringing you live news on defendants accused of crimes appearing at the city’s crown court.

You can also read about the latest court cases on The Star’s website, in print and on our social media channels including Facebook and Twitter.

Sheffield Crown Court

Sheffield Crown Court LIVE: Coverage of today’s cases

Last updated: Thursday, 16 July, 2020, 13:02

  • One case is coming up at 11.45am for sentence

Welcome to today’s blog. 

Nigel Wetton, aged 57, of Melvinia Crescent, Wilthorpe, Barnsley, pleaded guilty to affray when he appeared at Sheffield Crown Court on June 15. 

Today he is set to be sentenced. 

Prosecutor Soheil Khan said the case has been before Judge Sarah Wright on several occasions before.

The crown has accepted his plea on the basis that he was in possession of an article at the time.

Wetton has 21 convictions for 65 previous offences.

The last time he was in court was 2001 for harassment when he received a conditional discharge. 

The incident happened on December 28, 2019.

The complainant was at home when he received a call from his niece to say her male friend was coming to see him.

The complainant received a phone call from the defendant saying he would burn his house down.  

His niece entered the house and said Wetton was annoyed. 

Ten minutes later Wetton arrived and banged on the living room window.

He was holding an article in his hand.

He was unable to gain entry and he used the article in his hand to smash the window and then stepped inside.

He shouted: “I'll kill you.”

The complainant ran away and the defendant chased him.

He contacted police who advised him to lock himself in the bathroom.

He locked the door and climbed out of the bathroom window.

Wetton came outside and saw the complainant on the side of the house, he threatened to burn his house down. 

He was arrested and told police he had gone there to stop his partner from consuming cocaine with the complainant.

He said the glass shattered accidentally.

Wetton said the only shouting was to do with him challenging the complainant. 

Andrew Smith, mitigating, said Wetton put his offending behind him a long time ago.

He conceded his appearance at the complainant's house was "a fearsome sight."

He said Wetton was concerned his girlfriend would “get back into her old bad ways.”

"What he did was unwise. Albeit he had a proper motive. He has been helping her over the years."

"There were other ways to deal with it. Were he not in drink it's likely common sense would have prevailed."

The defendant has been on an electronically monitored curfew for 198 days.  

"The government agency did not put it back on after it was taken off for an operation on his foot," said Mr Smith.

"He is a hard worker in the vehicle recovery business.  

"He has demonstrated he can stay out of trouble for a long time." 

Judge Sarah Wright told Wetton: "This was a terrifying incident, whatever the rights and wrongs."

He has served the equivalent of a sixth month sentence already.

"There is a reasonable prospect of your rehabilitation," she told him.

She handed him a 24 month community order with 25 rehabilitation days.

Page 1 of 2