Sheffield cannabis dealer jailed

editorial image
Have your say

Cannabis dealer Thomas Dewick has been jailed for two years and three months after trying to flee police.

Officers saw Dewick driving a Ford car in Fulwood, Sheffield with no lights late at night and stopped him.

Dewick, aged 26, who had a male passenger, ran off and threw a package to the ground before he was caught on Manchester Road.

The package was found to contain eight bags of cannabis worth £120 in street deals, Louise Gallagher, prosecuting, told Sheffield Crown Court.

He was found to be in possession of two further wraps of cannabis, worth £20 and £10 and £180 in cash.

Analysis of his mobile phone records showed 2,043 messages over three years relating to drug deals and one text revealed he was considering growing cannabis.

When arrested on November 26 last year Dewick, of Hallam Grange Rise, Fulwood, failed to take a test at the police station and was charged with driving whilst unfit through drugs.

He admitted six offences of offering to supply a controlled drug and drug-driving.

The court heard he has previous convictions for possessing cannabis including one the day before he was arrested for these offences.

David Webster, defending, said the call centre worker ‘fell into disgrace’ partly because of his upbringing.

He was born to an 18-year-old girl whose staunch Catholic parents did not believe in abortion so gave him up for adoption at three months old.

It had led to Dewick behaving anti-socially, lapsing into depression and regularly taking cannabis and cocaine.

He was very easily led and his parents felt if he was jailed he would come out worse than when he went in.

But Judge Roger Keen – in his last sentence before retiring – continued the court’s tough stance on cannabis dealers and growers by jailing Dewick for the first time.

He told Dewick: “You can’t go round dealing in cannabis for three years and not expect to go to prison.

“I’m aware it was to support your own habit and of your co-operation with the police.”

Dewick was also banned from driving for two years.