‘Sexual predator’ raped drunken man on night out in town centre

Joseph Ripley
Joseph Ripley
Have your say

A PREDATORY sex attacker has been jailed indefinitely for raping another man in what a detective has described as the ‘worst’ case of male rape he has ever dealt with.

Joseph Ripley, aged 22, of Royds Close Crescent, Thrybergh, Rotherham, struck on a night out in when he spotted his intoxicated victim slumped in a doorway.

Ripley - described in court as a ‘predator’ - approached his 21-year-old victim, woke him from his drunken stupor and walked him from Dolmine Lane in Rotherham town centre to Church Street, on the pretence that he was going to get him a taxi home.

But instead, under the cover of darkness, Ripley raped the man on a bench in the pedestrianised area.

Sheffield Crown Court was told it was a ‘brutal and sustained sexual assault’.

His victim was so drunk he drifted in and out of consciousness during the ordeal.

Ripley then led the man to a nearby church wall, where he raped him again.

Detective Constable Craig Britland, who investigated the attack, said it was the worse case of male rape he had ever dealt with.

Officers alerted to the incident arrested Ripley at the scene.

His victim was so drunk he had been unaware of the attack until he sobered up in a specialist sexual assault referral centre at Rotherham Hospital.

DC Britland said the victim was ‘extremely traumatised’ when he was informed of the rape and was still struggling to come to terms with his ordeal.

“This is the worst case of male rape I have ever dealt with,” he said.

“The victim was drifting in and out of consciousness through intoxication and was unable to provide any kind of consent.

“The judge who jailed Ripley said it was a brutal, sustained attack on a victim clearly incapable to consent and who at some point during the act was unconscious.

“The defendant acted in a predatory manner - identifying a victim in such a state.”

DC Britland added: “The victim had been on a night out with friends and was in an extremely intoxicated state at the end of the evening - he was slumped in a doorway.

“Ripley approached him, got him to his feet and engaged him in some form of communication and on the pretence of getting him a taxi guided him to Church Street, where he subjected him to a brutal sexual assault.

“He was unconscious at some point during the assault.

“When the victim came round Ripley guided him over to a church wall where he assaulted him again.”

Ripley admitted two counts of rape and two counts of sexual assault relating to the incident in April.

He was given an indeterminate sentence for the public protection and was told he must serve a minimum of four years before parole can first be considered.

He never offered police any explanation for the sex attacks and had never been in trouble before.