Rotherhm thug who almost killed victim jailed for 10 years

Martin Tyler jailed for ten years for GBH on his pal in Rotherham.
Martin Tyler jailed for ten years for GBH on his pal in Rotherham.
Have your say

A THUG who repeatedly battered his friend around the head – leaving him with ‘life-threatening and catastrophic injuries’ – has been locked up for 10 years.

Martin Tyler’s victim Nigel Hutley, aged 44, almost died and is still being rehabilitated in hospital and is unable to speak.

Medical experts say it is unlikely he will ever be able to work or live independently again.

Tyler, 47, carried out the ‘sustained and violent attack’ by smashing a half stone weight down on his head, Sheffield Crown Court heard.

Afterwards he tried to drag Mr Hutley out of his flat, before fleeing to the house of a friend.

He told her: “Come and help me, I’ve just murdered someone.”

Tyler, unsteady on his feet and stumbling, said: “I can’t believe it. I’m going to get life for this.”

He showed his fists and added: “I’ve killed someone with these.”

Fiona Swain, prosecuting, said the men lived in the same block of flats on Lapwater Walk, Kimberworth Park, Rotherham, and drank together every day.

On the evening of the attack witnesses heard an argument.

Mrs Swain said Tyler’s weapon was a half stone sash weight –used to operate a sash window – which looked like a flat metal cylinder and looked like a cosh with a rope handle at one end.

Mr Hutley, who was found unconscious in a pool of blood, was resuscitated at A&E and transferred to a neurological intensive care unit for an operation.

He had numerous facial fractures and spent 14 days in intensive care before being transferred to a high dependency unit. He is still in hospital and cannot speak or follow instructions.

He had such extensive cognitive impairment the best he could hope for was to live with ‘minimum support’.

Richard Littler, defending, said he had previous convictions for violence from many years ago and his addiction to drugs and latterly, alcohol, were at the root.

Tyler admitted causing grievous bodily harm with intent and was jailed for 10 years.

Judge Simon Lawler imposed an extended licence period of four years saying Tyler was at high risk of causing serious harm to the public.

He told him: “You carried out a sustained and violent attack using a sash weight. It is essentially a cosh.

“You struck him repeatedly to the head using heavy blows. You believed you had killed him. He suffered life-threatening and catastrophic injuries. He will never lead a normal life again.”