Police launch witness appeal following funeral procession for Codeye and Tyrone in Sheffield

Traffic officers are appealing for witnesses, dash cam and CCTV footage after the funeral procession for Codeye and Tyrone prompted reports of ‘a handful’ drivers behaving anti-socially.

By Lloyd Bent
Wednesday, 5th May 2021, 4:14 pm

Between 10am and 1pm on Wednesday, April 28, the funeral procession for Tyrone Forde, aged 22 and Jordan Caster, 19, travelled from Bolsover in Derbyshire, through Parsons Cross to Shiregreen Cemetery.

While on the procession route, a number of vehicles, including a number of high performance sports cars which had been hired specifically for the funeral, were reported to be blocking junctions, driving into oncoming traffic and across roundabouts, and occupants were hanging out of windows.

Drivers were also seen to be travelling along pavements, causing pedestrians to run from the vehicles.

Jordan Caster and Tyrone Forde tragically died in a crash on the M1.

Sergeant Matt Duffy said: “This funeral was a result of a tragic accident which sadly cost two young men their lives. People were there that day to pay their respects and commemorate the lives of their loved ones.

“However, the manner of driving demonstrated by a handful of those attending meant that they not only posed a risk to themselves, but to other members of the procession and members of the public on route.

"Our call handlers received a number of calls from people reporting instances of dangerous driving and concerns for the welfare of other road users.

“Our job is to reduce road accidents and educate drivers how to drive safely, and we are now appealing for information as part of this inquiry.

“If anyone has any dash cam or CCTV footage of the vehicles being driven anti-socially or dangerously last Thursday in Derbyshire, or in Sheffield, please contact us.”

The incident number to quote is 100 of 28 April. Any footage can be sent through to [email protected]

Tyrone Forde and Jordan ‘Codeye’ Caster tragically died in a crash on the M1 just north of Sheffield in April.

The car they were travelling in – a white Volkswagen Golf – left the carriageway, hit a barrier and a number of trees before overturning and landing on its roof.

The two men were pronounced dead at the scene.

Their families organised a joint funeral for them at Shiregreen Cemetery.