Police issue statement after young fan injured at Sheffield Wednesday game at Barnsley

South Yorkshire Police have issued a statement after a young fan was apparently attacked by a police officer after Sheffield Wednesday's game at Barnsley on Saturday.

By Dan Hayes
Sunday, 9th February 2020, 12:09 pm
Updated Monday, 10th February 2020, 2:00 pm

A video showing an officer appearing to hit the fan over the head with a baton was widely shared online yesterday.

The person who took the video, Spencer White, said there had been some fighting, but that the reaction of the officer was totally over the top.

Writing on Facebook, Spencer wrote: “Share everywhere I thought they were supposed to protect people. Disgusting.”

“Two lads were scrapping and then he runs in and hits one in the head which was uncalled for completely.”

Now, South Yorkshire Police have issued a statement which confirms the fan – a 16-year-old boy – sustained a head injury from an officer's baton.

They added an officer was also injured in the incident, with both being taken to hospital with non-life-threatening injuries.

And they said that a full investigation would take place to determine the exact circumstances of the incident.

A still from Spencer White's video.

Chief Superintendent and Match Commander Sarah Poolman, said: “Yesterday, Saturday 8 February, following the Barnsley V Sheffield Wednesday match our officers responded to disorder outside the transport interchange.

“A full, open investigation, including extended video footage, will take place to ascertain the circumstances surrounding the incident, including the actions which led to a 16-year-old boy sustaining a head injury from an officer's baton, and an officer being assaulted, sustaining injuries to his stomach and head.

“The 16-year-old boy was taken to hospital by ambulance. The police officer also attended hospital. Both of their injuries are not life-threatening.

“A 47-year-old man was arrested on suspicion of assaulting an emergency services worker. He has been released under investigation.

“If you witnessed the incident or have any video footage, please contact 101 quoting incident 232 of February 2020.”

Fans from clubs up and down the country took to social media last night to condemn the officer’s actions.

In the match itself – which kicked off at 1.30 on police advice – the fierce local rivals drew 1-1.