No criminal charges over death of Sheffield grandmother killed in pub argument

Flowers left at the scene.
Flowers left at the scene.
Have your say

Nobody will be charged with any criminal offence over the death of a 'brilliant and wonderful' grandmother who was killed during an argument over a missing phone in a pub.

Gillian Poulson, aged 50, died from head injuries after an altercation with another woman at the Manor Social Club in City Road, Sheffield, last year.

Gillian Poulson.

Gillian Poulson.

READ MORE:- Fresh investigation ordered into death of Sheffield woman killed during argument over phone
An 18-year-old woman was initially arrested on suspicion of murder but prosecutors decided not to charge her last year due to lack of evidence.

But a coroner ordered the case to be referred back to the Crown Prosecution Service for a second look after hearing 'compelling evidence' at Mrs Poulson's inquest in June that her fatal injuries were caused by a punch.

Now following a three-month inquiry, the CPS has stuck by its original decision not to prosecute anyone over her death.

Catherine Ainsworth, senior district crown prosecutor, said: “In order for the CPS to make a decision to prosecute, we have to be satisfied that there is sufficient evidence for a realistic prospect of conviction.

"We have considered carefully the further evidence which came to light during the inquest. There remains insufficient evidence to enable us to charge anyone with a criminal offence."

An inquest held at Sheffield's Medico Legal Centre in the summer heard how Mrs Poulson had been drinking with an 18-year-old woman but an argument ensued after the younger woman lost her phone.

CCTV showed an altercation between the two and a few moments later Mrs Poulson fell to the ground. She died in hospital a few hours after the incident on February 29 last year.

The court heard that while you could see a lunge forward from the younger woman, it was not possible to see a punch connect due to the date stamp on the footage screen.

The teenager was arrested on suspicion or murder but denied throwing a punch during a police interview and instead claimed she had put her arm out to "move her away."

Pathologist Dr Charles Wilson said Mrs Poulson died of a bleed around the brain which was "entirely consistent with a blow being landed" to her head, which prompted coroner Sarah Slater to order the CPS to take another look.

Shortly after her death, Mrs Poulson was described by friends as a 'brilliant and wonderful' mother-of-two and grandmother.

Family members declined to be interviewed after the hearing.