Newlyweds’ ‘senseless’ killers guilty

Senseless deaths: Newlyweds Catherine and Ben Mullany.
Senseless deaths: Newlyweds Catherine and Ben Mullany.
Have your say

The GRIEVING parents of a former South Yorkshire Police officer shot dead while on honeymoon with his wife in Antigua have spoken of their relief after two men were convicted of the couple’s murder.

Relatives of Ben and Catherine Mullany, who were killed in their luxury hotel chalet in 2008, said despite justice being done they would still never be able to comprehend the senseless nature of the newlyweds’ deaths.

They reacted after Kaniel Martin, aged 23, and Avie Howell, 20, were found guilty of murdering the couple, following a two-month trial

In a statement released after the verdict, the families said: “There is no joy at today’s verdict, just a sense of relief that after three years of waiting there is justice for our children.

“We will never be able to comprehend the senseless nature of their deaths, the total disregard shown for human life and that no remorse has ever been shown.”

Mr and Mrs Mullany were both shot in the back of the head during a dawn raid at their chalet in the five-star Cocos Hotel on the holiday island.

They had only been married for just over two weeks.

Mrs Mullany, a doctor, died instantly.

Mr Mullany, who had worked for South Yorkshire Police but left to retrain as a physiotherapist, was flown back home to South Wales in a desperate attempt to save his life.

But despite the efforts of his wife’s medical colleagues in Swansea, Mr Mullany’s life-support machine was turned off a week later.

Two weeks after killing the newlyweds, Howell and Martin murdered 43-year-old shopkeeper Woneta Anderson.

The pair, who refused to face questioning in court, had protested their innocence throughout their trial, in which more than 90 witnesses gave evidence.

However, they were found guilty by a jury in Antigua’s High Court in St John’s, three years after committing the murders.

Mr and Mrs Mullany’s parents broke down in tears as the jury of eight men and four delivered its verdicts - following an anxious wait for 10 hours, 20 minutes.