Man shot and killed by police in London terror incident

A man has been shot and killed by police responding to a terror incident in London.

Friday, 29th November 2019, 5:44 pm

Emergency services were called just before 2pm today, Friday, November 29, to reports of a stabbing at a premises near to London Bridge.

The Metropolitan Police say that a number of people were injured in a terror incident and that a man had been shot dead by police.

Read More

Read More
London Bridge latest: Man shot by police in incident being treated as 'terror-re...

Sign up to our daily newsletter

The i newsletter cut through the noise

A police boat on the River Thames near London bridge following a 'terror related' incident. PA Photo. Picture date: Friday November 29, 2019. See PA story POLICE LondonBridge. Photo credit should read: Dominic Lipinski/PA Wire

Members of the public are believed to have challenged the man after the stabbing, with Prime Minister Boris Johnson praising theor actions as ‘immensely brave'.

He said: “Prime Minister Boris Johnson tweeted: "I want to thank the emergency services and members of the public for their immense bravery in responding to this suspected terrorist attack at London Bridge.

“This is an appalling incident and all my thoughts are with the victims and their families."

In a press conference held at 4pm on Friday, Neil Basu, the head of UK counter-terrorism policing, confirmed the incident was terror related and that the suspect had died.

He said: "At approximately 2pm today, police were called to a stabbing at a premises near London Bridge.

"Emergency services attended including officers from the City of London Police and Metropolitan Police.

"A male suspect was shot by specialist armed officers from City of London police and I can confirm that this suspect died at the scene."

Mr Basu said that specialist officers had been deployed after reports that the suspect had an explosive vest, but the device was believed to be a "hoax".

He added: "Due to reports that the suspect might have had an explosive device specialist officers attended the scene.

"However, I can confirm at this time we believe a device that was strapped to the body of the suspect is a hoax explosive device."

Mr Basu said he would give updates to the families of those injured "as soon as we can get that information".

"A number of other people received injuries during this incident. As soon as we can provide further updates on their condition, we will," he told the press conference.

"Our heartfelt sympathies go out to everybody who has been involved in this and is anxiously waiting for information on their loved ones.

"As soon as we can get that information, we will get it to you."