Knife man had to be Tasered by police three times – Sheffield Crown Court

A man who attacked his partner with a knife had to be Tasered three times before police could arrest him, Sheffield Crown Court has heard.

Friday, 26th February 2021, 1:47 pm

Nathan Dunn had been at Leeds Crown Court in the morning of November 27, last year, and "returned home very drunk and in a mood," said prosecutor Ian West.

He armed himself with two knives and chased his partner, who was forced to retreat around the house.

Dunn hit her on the back of the neck with the flat of one knife, making a small cut, before she was able to escape.

Sign up to our daily newsletter

The i newsletter cut through the noise

Read the latest cases at Sheffield Crown Court.

The police had to force their entrance and he was Tasered "on three occasions" by officers, said Mr West.

The court heard he has previous convictions for violence, dishonesty and drug offences, dating back to 2007 when he was a juvenile. He was jailed for possession of Class A drugs with intent to supply, in 2015.

A two month suspended sentence expired the week before the incident, Mr West said, adding that Dunn has been in custody since and has now served the equivalent of a six month sentence.

His partner appeared in court under oath to confirm that she doesn't live in fear of him and wants the relationship to continue.

Taryn Turner, mitigating, said: "He has had time to cool his heels and reflect. It's a matter for him if he can stay clean.

"Having reflected on his situation he knows what lies ahead if he should transgress in like manner in the future."

Dunn, 28, of Broadlea Hill, Bramley, Leeds, pleaded guilty to assault by beating and affray.

On Friday, Judge Michael Slater told him he has an "unattractive record," but accepted that he also has medical difficulties.

"But that doesn't excuse you going on a drinking spree and taking illegal drugs that aggravate your condition," the judge told him.

He said it was "pointless to keep him in custody any longer" and imposed a six month sentence, which means he will be released shortly.

"If you touch her again you are likely to be put away for a very long time," the judge warned Dunn.

Read the latest cases from Sheffield Crown Court here.

Thank you to all who support local journalism with a digital or print subscription to The Star. The events of 2020 mean trusted, local journalism is more reliant than ever on your support. We couldn't do it without you. Subscribe here so we can keep campaigning on your behalf. Stay safe.