Killer laughed during Sheffield attack

Police at the scene of Andover Street and Montfort drive where a man was stabbed to death
Police at the scene of Andover Street and Montfort drive where a man was stabbed to death
Have your say

A painter was seen ‘smirking and laughing’ after beating a man to death in a ‘sustained and vicious attack’ in broad daylight in a Sheffield park, a court heard.

Nawzad Kamal, aged 39, killed his former friend Bahman Amin, 33, first stabbing him in the arm and chest, then battering him about the head and body with a baseball bat.

A jury at Sheffield Crown Court heard the fatal assault, on June 17 in Pitsmoor, happened after the men - both Iraqi Kurds - fell out over a woman and Mr Amin insulted Kamal’s mother.

The horrifying attack was partially captured on camera by an eyewitness.

Simon Waley QC, prosecuting, told Sheffield Crown Court, said: “The beating went on for some time and involved multiple heavy blows, many of which were to the head.

“Bahman Amin was unable to put up any resistance. For the majority he was lying face-up on the ground.

“A number of witnesses saw this attack taking place, but none felt able to stop what was happening.

“One, who telephoned the police, managed to record a part of the attack on his digital camera.

“In the footage that has been recovered, the defendant can be seen to deliver 28 blows with the baseball bat - 11 were to the area of the head.”

Mr Waley said one witness, Gaynor Topham, begged Kamal to stop - but he started walking towards her with a ‘grin on his face’ and she fled.

She said at some points Kamal stopped and paced around Mr Amin’s body, shouting at him.

Mr Waley said: “In her view it was not frenzied. It was a constant, sustained attack, one he stopped and walked away from, looking around Montfort Drive almost appearing to enjoy the fact people were watching him.”

When he finished he calmly walked back to his flat on Montfort Drive opposite the crime scene, dropping the bloodstained baseball bat in a bin, Mr Waley said.

Jurors heard witness Ben Gillott told police Kamal paced around Mr Amin’s prone body ‘smirking or laughing’.

The court heard the men had been friends, but fell out after Mr Amin propositioned Kamal’s ex girlfriend on Facebook.

Mr Waley said in September 2012, Kamal then started a relationship with Mr Amin’s former partner Gemma Bush with whom he had a son.

He said Mr Amin became aware of the relationship, causing further bad blood between them.

On the day of the killing the pair had rowed on the telephone and arranged to meet up.

Mr Waley told jurors Kamal’s defence team would be likely to argue self defence or a momentary loss of control. Kamal denies murder.

“This was a deliberate and vicious attack, born out of anger,” he said.

“Once he was satisfied Mr Amin was dead, he calmly left the scene and waited for the police to arrive.

“The only proper verdict, the prosecution say, is one of guilty to murder.”

The trial continues.