'I am going to come and stick a knife in you' – Sheffield man’s threats to ex

A Sheffield man who threatened to stab his ex-partner after their 21-year relationship ended also harassed and threatened his next partner, plus her friend and nephew, a court heard.

Tuesday, 10th December 2019, 2:42 pm

Ben Wilding sent the mother of his three children mobile phone pictures of him holding a knife to his throat, and threatened to "make her life hell", while also professing his love for her and weeping, prosecutor Zaiban Alam told Sheffield Crown Court, on Friday.

Read More

Read More
Man found after Sheffield house fire named as investigation into his death conti...

Their relationship ended in August 2018, after incidents of "domestic violence over a long period of time," and the harassment began in June 2019, at around the same time as a ten-month relationship with another woman also ended.

Sign up to our daily newsletter

The i newsletter cut through the noise

Sheffield Crown Court

She sais this was "a horrendous relationship", marred by "domestic violence and coercive and controlling behaviour."

Wilding used different account names to send her 10-60 messages per day.

He contacted her friends and family, leaving her "embarrassed and ashamed", so she was forced to un-block him.

When she told him she had a new partner, on September 28, Wilding said: "I am going to come and stick a knife in you. I have wanted to for a long time. I should have done it when I had the chance."

He also contacted a female friend of the woman and said: "I will just put a knife in you."

In turn, she told him she would smash his teeth in, the court heard.

WIlding also made threats to the woman's nephew, saying: "I am going to pull your teeth out and break your legs."

James Gould, mitigating, said Wilding had been out of trouble for 14 years, but had been dependent on alcohol and suffered mental health problems since he was a 15-year-old.

Wilding, 42, of Abbeyfield Road, Sheffield, admitted two counts of causing fear of violence by harassment and two counts of malicious communications, on November 1.

Judge Rachael Harrison told him: "If you and I meet again, you will go back to prison, do you understand?"

He received a 15 month sentence, suspended for 18 months, and was ordered to get alcohol treatment and 30 rehabilitation days