Family of young Sheffield Wednesday fan seek legal advice over ‘assault’

The mum of a teenage football fan who was allegedly assaulted by a police officer says the family have already spoken to a solicitor.

Claire Pashley, mum of 16-year-old Blaine, says her son is now out of hospital and recovering at home after the alleged assault which took place after Sheffield Wednesday's game at Barnsley on Saturday.

She added she couldn’t talk in detail about the incident as the family had already sought legal advice, but did say that Blaine was still understandably ‘shaken’ up by his ordeal.

She said: “It hasn't really sunk in yet. It's not nice to see that happen to your son.

“We have just spoken to a solicitor this afternoon so I can’t make any further comment.”

Videos of the horrific incident began circulating online yesterday, appearing to show an officer hitting Blaine over the head with his baton.

The teen then falls to the floor before blood begins pouring from a head wound.

South Yorkshire Police issued a statement this morning which confirmed a 16-year-old boy had sustained a head injury from an officer's baton.

A still from Spencer White's video.

They added an officer was also injured in the incident, with both being taken to hospital with non-life-threatening injuries.

And they said that a full investigation would take place to determine the exact circumstances of the incident.

Chief Superintendent and Match Commander Sarah Poolman, said: “A full, open investigation, including extended video footage, will take place to ascertain the circumstances surrounding the incident, including the actions which led to a 16-year-old boy sustaining a head injury from an officer's baton, and an officer being assaulted, sustaining injuries to his stomach and head.

“If you witnessed the incident or have any video footage, please contact 101 quoting incident 232 of February 2020.”

After footage of the incident was shared on Facebook and Twitter yesterday, fans from clubs up and down the country took to social media last night to condemn the officer’s actions.

In the match itself – which kicked off at 1.30pm on police advice – the fierce local rivals drew 1-1.