Family of Lewis Williams issue important Covid message to mourners ahead of funeral

The heartbroken family of Doncaster murder victim Lewis Williams has issued a plea to mourners to ‘stay safe’ on the day of his funeral.

Wednesday, 10th February 2021, 10:24 am
Lewis Williams

Lewis, aged 20, died after he was shot in his neck and face in an attack on Wath Road, Mexborough, on Monday, January 11.

His funeral service is to be held in Swinton, Rotherham, tomorrow, with mourners warned that due to social distancing rules during the coronavirus pandemic only the 30 people invited can enter the church.

In a statement, Lewis’s family said: “We know that Lewis was loved by many and that a number of people would like to come and pay their respects.

Sign up to our daily newsletter

The i newsletter cut through the noise

Lewis Williams was shot dead in Mexborough, Doncaster

“We want people to say their final goodbye responsibly, for their safety and the safety of the local community. So we want to remind anyone attending to observe social distancing guidelines, to keep everyone safe.

“We also welcome thoughts and prayers for Lewis from those who are paying their respects from home rather than attending in person.

“Lewis was much loved by his family, partner and friends. He was always there for anyone needing help, and always had a smile on his face. He was funny, loving and one of the most polite young men you could hope to meet.

“Lewis has left a massive hole in the hearts of all who loved him.”

South Yorkshire Police said: “Due to the government’s current Covid-19 restrictions, funeral services in England are limited to an attendance of 30 people.

“Only the 30 people who have been invited by Lewis’ family will be able to attend inside the church.

“Gatherings of any other kind are not permitted under the current government restrictions.

“Lewis’ family has asked that people are mindful of the restrictions and current social distancing guidelines.”

Six suspects have been charged with murder so far – Jack Parkes, 20, of Arnold Crescent, Doncaster; Ryan Nisbet of Springwood Road, Barnsley and four teenagers , aged between 15 and 17, who cannot be named for legal reasons.

A 22-year-old man was arrested yesterday and remained in police custody last night.

A total of 11 arrests have been made so far in connection with the murder.