Couple alerted as blaze raged

Share this article
Have your say

A SLEEPING couple had to be woken by firefighters after a bin fire threatened their flat.

The blaze on Spring Close Mount, Gleadless Valley, Sheffield, started in a paper recycling bin which had been set alight in a storage area outside the flat. Flames spread to a wooden door and cracked the kitchen window.

Firefighters said the couple, in their 50s, were asleep inside their flat unaware of the blaze until firefighters woke them up.

Group manager Ade Robinson said: “The fire would have reached their flat had the firefighters not arrived so quickly. Thankfully the occupants weren’t injured but this incident shows how a small fire can quickly spread to put lives in danger.”

The fire was discovered at 2.20am on Sunday. Just 90 minutes later a family of five was led to safety by firefighters after a blaze at their home on Ravenscroft Crescent, Richmond, Sheffield.

They dialled 999 just after 4am, reporting that they were trapped in an upstairs room because of flames downstairs.

Two of the occupants escaped by climbing onto an adjoining flat roof next door while firefighters helped the others out.

And on Friday last week a 33-year-old woman was pulled unconscious from a blazing flat in Town Lane, Greasbrough.

Fire crews from Rotherham and Sheffield were called to the scene and they searched the ground floor premises using breathing apparatus.

They gave the woman first aid until paramedics arrived and took her to Rotherham District Hospital for treatment.

The fire was started deliberately, but police are not looking for anyone else in connection with the incident.