Chesterfield woman with no driving licence took partners car because she 'didn't want to walk to the post office'

A Chesterfield woman drove her partners car without a driving licence because her nearest post office was closed and she didn’t want to walk to one that was further away, a court heard.

Thursday, 1st October 2020, 3:00 pm

Lindsey Jayne Weatherall got behind of the wheel of the Ford Focus on June 30 but was spotted by police travelling along Coniston Road, and the officers knew she didn’t have a licence, Chesterfield Magistrates’ Court was told on Monday, September 28.

They turned on sirens but Weatherall failed to stop and drove back to the house she shares with her partner in Newfield Close, Dunston.

Prosecuting, Lynn Bickley said: “When police pulled up the partner came out and said the defendant had no right to take the vehicle. He had been asleep and the first he knew about it was when he saw the police vehicles pull up.

Sign up to our daily newsletter

The i newsletter cut through the noise

Lindsey Weatherall appeared before Chesterfield Magistrates' Court.

“She needed to go to the post office but it was closed and the other one was further away and she didn’t want to walk.”

Read More

Read More
A Chesterfield man attacked his ex twice because he was angry she was going to t...

Weatherall, 44, had admitted taking a motor vehicle without the owner’s consent, driving without insurance, driving without a licence and failing to stop at hearing on August 24.

She had also admitted three shoplifting offences, stealing a total of £169.93 worth of gin from three Aldi stores, on June 26, July 17 and July 18, as well as committing offences while on bail, and the sentencing was adjourned for probation service reports to be prepared.

Speaking about the shoplifting offences, Mrs Bickley said that on the first occasion, Weatherall had gone onto the store with a man and placed two bottles of gin in a bag, which he had left the store with. He had subequently been jailed for that and other offences.

In the July thefts, Weatherall had taken the gin and left the store through the entrance door, where no security monitors were in place.

Mitigation was given at the previous hearing.

Weatherall was given a 16-week prison sentence, suspended for 18 months, and was ordered to complete 12 rehabilitation activity days with the Probation Service and a thinking skills programme.

She was also ordered to pay £169.93 in compensation, which was added to the more than £2,500 she already owes the court.

Editor’s message: Thank you to all who support local journalism with a print subscription. The events of 2020 mean trusted, local journalism is more reliant than ever on your support. We couldn't do it without you. Please subscribe here so we can keep campaigning on your behalf. Stay safe.