Centertainment killer's uncle was murdered Sheffield underworld boss Lester Divers

The man jailed for a fatal stabbing at the Centertainment complex in Sheffield is the nephew of murdered underworld boss Lester Divers.

By Claire Lewis
Thursday, 12th December 2019, 8:07 am
Updated Tuesday, 17th December 2019, 2:51 pm

Noel Ramsey, aged 22, of Nottingham Street, Burngreave, was sentenced to five years yesterday for killing Fahim Hersi in a knife attack outside Cineworld in September last year.

Ramsey, who pleaded guilty to manslaughter, claimed to have been acting in self defence after being stabbed himself when his group of friends clashed with Fahim’s as they both turned up to watch a film.

He said he picked up a knife dropped on the ground by one of Fahim’s friends and lashed out.

Sign up to our daily newsletter

Noel Ramsey stabbed another man to death at the Centertainment complex in Sheffield

Fahim, from Broomhall, was stabbed in his chest as he walked towards Ramsey.

He was taken to hospital but could not be saved and died a short time later.

Ramsey was arrested after seeking hospital treatment for his own stab wounds.

He struck out, killing a man, despite knowing the heartache that serious violence causes, after his own uncle was murdered 13 years ago.

Underworld boss Lester Divers was the uncle of Centertainment killer Noel Ramsey

Lester Divers, 32, originally from the Burngreave and Pitsmoor areas of Sheffield, was shot dead at point blank range as he sat in his car outside his home in Freedom Road, Walkley, on New Year’s Day 2003.

During the trial of suspects accused of involvement in his death, it emerged that he was killed in a ‘well planned and cold blooded execution’ as a result of a turf war between rival drug gangs.

Sheffield Crown Court heard how Mr Divers, a music promoter and well known Sheffield United fan, was also part of a gang responsible for a series of sickening crimes against other drug dealers and criminals.

He and his associates were alleged to have tortured and kidnapped a number of victims in the run-up to the murder, taking thousands of pounds off them.

During the trial it emerged that gunman Michael Ullah, who admitted shooting Mr Divers, opened fire because he feared his own life was in danger.

His barrister told Sheffield Crown Court that three men, one of whom was Mr Divers, tried to kidnap, torture and kill Ullah to get information about a rival Sheffield drug dealer he was working for.

Ullah, formerly of Honeysuckle Road, Wincobank, was jailed for life along with getaway driver Kevin Smith.